ambient reality

pimping code and tech crap

Monday, February 27, 2006

PSP Web Development Part 2

I spent sometime over the weekend doing some more PSP web stuff and found more issues. First off, you can't do any DOM stuff like createElement and appendChild. Second, you can't do XMLHttpRequest, so that rules out any AJAX stuff. I tried scrollTop on a textarea and that didn't work. No idea if it works for the window, div's with overflow or iframes. On the bright side, it seems to have good CSS support. I spoofed my Firefox's user agent using the PSP user agent "Mozilla/4.0 (PSP (PlayStation Portable); 2.00)" and hit the official Sony PSP site http://psp.us.playstation.com. There site is not what I would consider lightweight. It's got a lot of code. That might explain why it felt a little sluggish. Hover events lagged a second behind the pointer movement. Another issue that may limit the imagination is the amount of memory. The PSP has 32MB of RAM. I don't know how much RAM the browser eats up, but if you have the cache set to 2MB and all 3 tabs open, I can definitely see the device running out of memory. As far as input is concerned, I know onclick events work. I've read that onmouseover, onmousemove and onmouseout work too, but I haven't tested it yet. Texting is still a problem. The keypad entry screen is pretty horrible if you wanted to type an email. A company called Logic 3 was working on a keyboard for the PSP, but was recently axed. Hopefully Sony will come out with some sort of keyboard because the keypad sucks. I'd like to play around with building an on screen keyboard similar to how old Nintendo games worked. I've seen a couple PSP websites use this method, but I think it could be improved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home